Sunday, September 12, 2010

Moments When You Thought I Wasn't Looking

In my brief history of photography, my favorite photos are the ones that are unposed, spontaneous..... candid. 



In the moments we think that no one is looking, we let down our guard and our true selves shine through.
A grandson who "isn't tired" lets down his guard, and sleeps in his Pop's arms.  A granddaughter who wasn't sure about Nana's camera begins to play with Mom and Dad, and that precious grin sneaks out.
So what do people see in me when I let down my guard?  What are folks learning from me when I don't think they are watching?  There is a poem I like that says it well.

When you thought I wasn't looking

Author: Unknown


When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator,

and I wanted to paint another one.



When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw you feed a stray cat,

and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.



When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw you make my favorite cake for me,
and I knew that little things are special things.



When you thought I wasn't looking,

I heard you say a prayer,

and I believed that there was a God to talk to.



When you thought I wasn't looking,

I felt you kiss me goodnight,

and I felt loved.



When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw tears come from your eyes,

and I learned that sometimes things hurt,

but it's alright to cry.



When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw that you cared,

and I wanted to be everything that I could be.



When you thought I wasn't looking,

I looked....

and I wanted to say thanks for all the things
I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.
 
So.... make all your moments the kind you would be proud for folks to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment